Ohh No! EDB files are not functioning well, Facing problem with Exchange Database (EDB) and wants to convert EDB to PST? This guide will help in the migration process. Just follow us!!
Nowadays all need the Microsoft Exchange server, which plays an important role in several organizations. As it helps in handling daily emails and other activities as well. It includes many items such as emails, calendars, contacts, and notes in the EDB format. It fails to function properly due to the load on the EDB files. That’s why migrating from EDB to PST is a better option.
Let’s have a look on EDB and PST-
EDB – The multiple user mailboxes generated in Exchange Server are handled by an Exchange database (EDB) folder. Multiple client files can be shared in one Exchange Server.
PST – A PST file is a directory that stores messages from Outlook and other mailbox objects. As soon as you create an Outlook profile, it is created by default.
Now, discuss reasons for migrating EDB to PST-
Need to Export EDB to PST –
There are many consequences that led to migrate from EDB to PST. Reasons behind this conversion explained below:
- For saving memory space.
- Recover data when the EDB file becomes corrupted.
- Improve the performance of the server and reduce the size of the mailbox.
- For taking a backup from Exchange mailboxes.
- To backup some mailboxes or emails.
- Wants to move any mailbox data to other locations.
- For reducing the chances of EDB file corruption & Jet errors.
Because of these reasons, users migrate from EDB to PST format. Now, move forward to know the manual ways to move EDB to PST.
How to convert EDB to PST?
There are two manual ways to move EDB to PST. Follow the steps below to convert EDB file to PST free:
1. By Exchange Management Shell
- Initially, to get the list of mailboxes in a database, run the following command:
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <DatabaseName>
- Next, a list of all mailboxes that are present in the database will come.
- Then, to export EDB to PST, run the following command:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <MailboxName> -FilePath \ExchageBackpst\MailBoxName.pstup\
- The above command after executing will save the data of the mailbox to a new PST file. The destination folder should be a shared folder.
- Run the next command as shown below to check the mailbox export request status:
- Once the export process will complete, then follow the below command to cancel the export request:
Remove-MailboxExportRequest -Identity <Name of the export request>
Read More: Smart BKF Recovery Software – Fix Corrupt BKF Files
2. Using Exchange Admin Center to convert EDB file to PST
A direct method to export EDB file to PST file:
- First, Log in as an administrator to the Exchange Admin Center.
- Then visit the permissions tab and press admin roles.
- Navigate to Recipient Management and hit on (+) icon within admin roles.
- Then go to Role Group Wizard > Roles > hit the (+) icon.
- Choose the Mailbox Import Export Role and press the add button. Then hit OK.
- Under Recipient Management, you can see the Mailbox Import Export role.
- Go to recipients > mailboxes, and then select any mailbox that you want to export. Now, hit on more (•••) symbol and choose Export to a PST file option.
- Browse a mailbox to export.
- Give a path for a shared folder.
- Upon successful conversion, pick a mailbox that will receive an email.
- At last, press the Finish button. Then all the mailbox content will be converted into PST.
By these manual ways, users can easily migrate all EDB files to PST. If users face some difficulties with manual approaches then they can use EDB to PST Converter utility. As it is a direct solution for converting EDB files into PST.
All manual measures that need to be taken have been explained above to convert EDB to PST. Also, a direct approach also explained that helps in migrating directly.