Xiaomi is set to launch the mid-range AI-Selfie smartphone in India on June 7 via Amazon exclusive. The reports are clear that the Xiaomi Redmi S2 will come as Xiaomi Redmi Y2 in India with 16MP of AI-Selfie camera with LED flash. A recent Geekbench Benchmark results showing that the device is Xiaomi Redmi Y2 and it has 3GB of RAM and Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box pack. The launch event scheduled at New Delhi on June 7 for this selfie-focused 2018 Redmi Y series.
Last year, Xiaomi has launched Redmi Y1 and Y1 Lite as an entry-level budget selfie-focused smartphone in India. So it is quite expected that the Xiaomi Redmi Y2 is a successor of the Redmi Y1. The company gave a caption #RealYou smartphone and used a Twitter hashtag of #FindYourSelfie officially. A few weeks ago, Manu Kumar Jain, also twitted that the Best Selfie Phone is coming soon. He also mentioned that the Xiaomi is now #1SmartphoneBrand for last 3Quarters @IDC reports.
Just like the Redmi S2, this Xiaomi Redmi Y2 also comes with dual 4G VOLTE SIM card and a dedicated MicroSD card slot. Now let’s talk about the specifications.
Xiaomi Redmi Y2 / Redmi S2 Specifications
- 5.99-inch HD+ 18:9 aspect ratio display with the resolution of 1440 × 720 pixels. The display is a 2.5D curved glass with 1000:1 contrast ratio, 450 nits Brightness, 70.8% NTSC color gamut option.
- 2.0GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SoC based on 14nm Mobile Platform Process coupled with Adreno 506 GPU.
- 3GB RAM and 32GB onboard storage / 4GB RAM and 64GB onboard storage, 256GB of expandable memory via microSD card.
- The device will run on Android 8.1 Oreo with MIUI 9 out of the box.
- Dual nano 4G SIM + separate MicroSD card.
- 12MP of the primary rear camera with LED Flash, 1.25μm pixel, PDAF, f/2.2 aperture, and a secondary 5MP camera.
- 16MP of AI-powered selfie camera with LED flash.
- Dedicated Fingerprint sensor and IR Blaster.
- Dimensions – 160.73 × 77.26 × 8.1mm, weighs around 170 grams.
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.2, GPS, GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack.
- A non-removable 3,080 mAh battery.
The Xiaomi Redmi S2 comes in China in Champagne Gold, Rose gold, and Platinum Silver colors and was introduced in China starting at 999 Yuan (Rs.10,560 approx) for the 3GB/32GB variant and 1,299 Yuan (Rs.13,735 approx) for the 4GB/64GB variant. It is expected to the Xiaomi Redmi Y2 will price around similar to the Redmi S2. We have to wait for the launch.