Vivo has finally launched the Vivo NEX, Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) and Vivo NEX A in China. These three devices are the most anticipated NEX series smartphones. Vivo showed their prototype device called ‘Vivo Apex’ in this year’s MWC2018. But they really made it official with almost bezel-less display even bigger one and so many other features that we’re talking about.
Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S): Top 7 Features
- Display: Vivo highlighted the display features this time with a 6.59-inch Super AMOLED Ultra FullView FHD+ display with a resolution of 1080 × 2316 pixels. This is a 19.3:9 aspect ratio display, featuring almost 91.24 percent screen-to-body ratio, which is the highest till date in any smartphone display. This brings all the display area much wider and ultra narrow 1.71mm bezels at three sides. Only the bottom of the display has a tiny chin.
- Pop-Up Selfie Camera: Since there is no bezels and no notch at the top of the display, Vivo has generally decided to put the selfie camera behind the display or upper-middle of the smartphone body. The micro stepping motorized-mechanism powered front camera pops-out very easily while prompted for selfie camera through the camera app. The front has an 8MP of selfie camera with f/2.0 aperture lens along with AI features. It has the Portrait mode, Beautification mode etc. The precision control algorithms and driver ICs are crafted for smoother controls. The micro-slit infrared sensor is also placed within the front camera module.
- In-Display Fingerprint Sensor: We already have seen Vivo X21 UD and Vivo X20 Plus UD (China variant) smartphones earlier featuring Under Display Fingerprint Sensor technology. Now the company also included this In-Display Fingerprint Sensor in Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) and Vivo NEX A phones. The In-Display Fingerprint Sensor on Vivo NEX series is now 50 percent faster and accurate than the previous one. Still, it will take some time to provide the faster response like the dedicated fingerprint scanner.
- Latest Flagship Processor: The Vivo NEX series smartphones powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC which is an Octa-Core processor based on 10nm process. It clocks up to 2.8GHz and coupled with Adreno 630 GPU. The chipset is 25 percent more efficient than the SDM835 SoC.
- Design and Look: The display and back panel both looks much more premium than the other flagship smartphones that are available in the market. The device back panel seems just like Huawei P20 Pro. The dual rear camera with LED flash setup is placed vertically. The glass mirror finished back panel is also coated with an anti-smudge resistance layer.
- 7.1 Channel 3D Audio: The device is featured with 7.1 Channel 3D Audio system DTSX extension. The phone is also featured with the CS43199+SSM6322 audio chipset. This basically brings an enhanced bass effect sound quality through speakers.
- Screen SoundCasting Technology: The Vivo NEX, Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) smartphones have Ultra FullView wider display than ever and just like the front camera, the company also removes the earpiece from the top front and provides Screen SoundCasting Technology. That gives a better bass and softer treble. It uses ray data compensation algorithm that hides the light sensor at the bottom of the screen and gives a screen vibration feedback. The screen vibration generates the sound waves through the display area and the user can hear it just like an earpiece.
- Jovi AI: Vivo selects the Knowles SmartMic (IA610) chip, features the Jovi AI technology. The Knowles SmartMic (IA610) chipset is the world’s first ever microphone integrated with energy efficient DSP that enables the always-on and voice-wake feature. Knowles Corporation manufactured high-performance SiSonic™ MEMS technology with an audio DSP into a single tiny chip. Jovi AI is an Artificial Intelligence Assistant, which enables device activity or app tasks by face unlock and voice command.
Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) / Vivo NEX A Specifications:
- 6.59-inch Super AMOLED Ultra FullView Full HD+ display with the resolution of 1080 × 2316 pixels.
- 19.3:9 aspect ratio display with DCI-P3 color gamut.
- An octa-core 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC based on a 10nm process with Adreno 630 GPU (NEX S) and SDM710 SoC with (Dual 2.2GHz Kryo 360 CPU + Hexa-core 1.7GHz Kryo 360 CPU) Adreno 616 GPU (NEX A).
- 8GB RAM with 128/256GB internal storage (NEX S) and 6GB RAM with 128GB onboard storage for NEX A.
- Dual 4G VOLTE SIM, No MicroSD card expansion.
- 12MP dual rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 4-axis OIS, f/1.8 aperture, a secondary 5MP camera with f/2.4 aperture.
- 8MP front camera, f/2.0 aperture with AI portrait mode, beautification mode, auto detection autofocus.
- In-Display fingerprint sensor (NEX S) and rear-mounted fingerprint sensor (NEX A).
- Screen SoundCasting Technology for sound vibration instead of an earpiece.
- Android 8.1 Oreo with FunTouch OS 4.0 (Energy UI) out of the box.
- 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, GPS +, GLONASS, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (dual-band 2.4GHz/5.0GHz) 2×2 MIMO, USB-C port.
- 4,000mAh battery with 22.5W fast charging support.
- Dimensions: 162 × 77 × 7.98mm, Weighs 199 grams.
- Other Features: Jovi AI Assistant (Voice Assistant), Smart Map Reading, Encyclopedia, shopping, translation, scanning, screen recognition, Engine-level SDK optimization, HPUE technology antenna layout, zero-sensor cooling system.
Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) Price and Indian Availability:
The Vivo NEX Ultimate (NEX S) will come in two different storage variants. The 8GB RAM and 128GB storage variant have been priced at around CNY 4,498 (Rs.47,381). There will be another 8GB RAM and 256GB internal storage variant will cost around CNY 4,998 (Rs.52,648). The phones will go on sale in China on June 23. Though there is no information about the Indian launch. The handset will be available in Ruby Red and Star Diamond edition.