After all the leaks and rumors about new iPhones in 2018, Apple finally announced an affordable iPhone XR smartphone at the Steve Jobs Theater at the Apple Park Campus in California. The company also launched iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and Apple Watch Series 4 on the same day, but in this post, we only talk about the iPhone XR device. The device looks like same as iPhone X notch display and glass back panel. The edge-to-edge display ratio with the 6.1-inch Liquid Retina HD LCD panel looks quite sharp and clear like other two devices. The 7nm process based Apple A12 Bionic chip is powering the handset features more advanced Face ID and iOS 12 out of the box pack.
Apple iPhone XR Specifications and Features Overview
- 6.1-inch LCD Liquid Retina HD display, resolution 828 x 1792 pixels.
- Haptic Touch, tap to wake, wide color gamut and 120Hz touch True Tone supported LCD panel.
- Apple A12 Bionic chipset based on a 7nm process with M12 motion co-processor.
- Next-gen octa-core Neural Engine technology with two performance cores and four efficiency cores.
- Four-core GPU system (50% faster than Apple A11 chip).
- 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB storage variants.
- IP67 water and dust resistance.
- Dual SIM supported (Nano-SIM and eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, OIS, True Tone flash.
- 4K video recording @ 60fps, slow-motion 1080P video @ 240fps.
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Portrait, depth control, retina flash.
- 1080P front video recording @ 30fps.
- Face ID with the TrueDepth Camera feature.
- 4G VoLTE Advanced, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, Digital Compass, iBeacon micro-location, lightning port.
- FaceTime video and audio, Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content.
- Siri 7 smart assistant.
- iOS 12.
- Rechargeable battery with Qi wireless and fast charging support.
- Barometer, Three‑axis gyro, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor etc.
- EarPods with Lightning Connector.
- Colors: Yellow, White, Coral, Black, Blue color option.
- Dimensions: 150.9 mm 75.7 mm 8.3 mm.
- Weight: 194 grams.
iPhone XR Detailed Specifications and Features
The dual-SIM iPhone XR smartphone runs on iOS 12 out of the box and sports a 6.1-inch HD Liquid Retina LCD display with a resolution of 828 x 1792 pixels. The display does have a quite familiar notch with the 120Hz touch sample rate features True Tone support and the Haptic Touch technology as well. It doesn’t have the 3D Touch feature. The Haptic Touch technology instantly launch the camera or flashlight app by pressing on the home screen. The dual-SIM supports one physical SIM and a secondary eSIM, which will be available later this year via the software update. However, the report says that Airtel and Reliance Jio is confirmed as a preferred network partner in India.
Apple iPhone XR CPU and GPU
The iPhone XR is powered by an Apple A12 Bionic chip which is much more powerful and advanced than the previous one. The Apple A12 chipset is based on a 7nm process with M12 motion co-processor includes almost 6.9 billion transistors. The two performance cores and four efficiency cores with four GPU cores and an octa-core Neural Engine can serve five trillion operations per second which is almost 50 percent faster than the previous Apple A11 Bionic chip.
As usual, the company hasn’t confirmed the RAM and battery capacity of this device. The handset comes in three storage variants such as 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB options. This affordable Apple iPhone XR mobile has a 7000-series aerospace-grade aluminum build. It also has the IP67 rating of water and dust resistance feature.
Apple iPhone XR Camera & Other Features
The device sports a 12MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture six-piece lens and the quad-LED True Tone flash. It also supports OIS, next-gen flicker-detect system, focus pixel etc. The rear camera can record 4K videos up to 60fps and slow-motion 1080P videos video up to 240fps. The improved portrait mode and depth control works better with the 2 times faster smart HDR sensor.
On the other side, the front features a single 7MP selfie camera with f/2.2 aperture lens with an advanced Face ID, an improved portrait mode, HDR, Animoji, Memoji, IR Flood illuminator features etc.
The device features advanced Face ID with the TrueDepth Camera feature. The latest iOS 12 also now improved with so many features like Group FaceTime and screen-on-time dashboard. The grouped notifications, new Siri 7 assistance, and a lot of dedicated apps are now an all-in-one place. There is no information about the battery capacity but the built-in rechargeable battery supports Qi wireless charging and fast charging via the lightning connector. The company claims that the battery juice will last more than the iPhone 8 Plus battery.
iPhone XR Connectivity & Sensors
In terms of the network and connectivity options, the device does have advanced 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth V5, NFC, GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, Galileo, iBeacon micro-location, Digital Compass, lightning port, FaceTime video/audio, Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. The mobile does have all the sensors like Three‑axis gyro, Barometer, Proximity, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor etc.
iPhone XR Price and Availability in India
The Apple iPhone XR price will start at around Rs.77,000 (approx) for the 64GB storage variant in India. Whereas, the same 64GB variant is priced at $749 (Rs.54,000 approx) in the US and the 128GB variant is priced at $799 (Rs.57,500 approx). The higher 256GB model has been priced at $899 (Rs.64,700 approx). The iPhone XR pre-order will start from October 19 and the device will start shipping in other countries from October 26 including India. The handset will be available in Yellow, White, Coral, Black, Blue color options.